Friday, August 19, 2005

B-I-N-G-O but no A/C

So Amy and our friends Rodney and Stephanie got this crazy idea to go play Bingo somewhere out in east Dallas. What more could you want to do on a sweltering Texas night but sit inside a smoky bingo hall with hopes of winning riches? To meet the crew, I drove over to Dallas after work, stopping at Amy's apartment to pick up the dobbers. Yes we have bingo dobbers from a previous bingo expereince and let me leave it at that. When I got back in the bug and departed Amy's apartment complex, the bug didn't seem to be cooling down as fast as normal. As I approached downtown Dallas it was downright sweltering inside the bug and I noticed that pressing the A/C buttom wasn't doing a thing. Great, the hotteest weekend of the year and the A/C goes out in the bug. It's even more retro now.

Bingo was fun. I wasn't very lucky at it though and hardly even came close to winning. A few times I probably could have won a prize for fewest numbers covered. But we were up against stiff competition as they sell these bingo playing computers that allow one to play several dozen cards at once. They're pretty slick. Between bingo games they were going around selling "Tabs" (or what we called breakers or break open tickets at home) and the people were going nuts for these things. One old lady actually had such a giant pile of non winning tabs that she looked like a hampster building a nest.

No A/C in the bug... this is not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home